I'm building a Quadrocopter following a similar approach as the Ship of Theseus. The goal is to replace each part step by step to eventually remain with a completely custom built quad. Some parts might be easier to build (such as the frame, although there are lots of things I could tweak here) and other parts might become really demanding (how do I design a flight controller?), but due to there being not limits, the only limit is my imagination (that's a quote from somewhere, I'm pretty sure, I'm just not sure from where, hmu if you know).
Listing my "initial" setup might help making it more understandable with what state I'm starting. (I've sourced a lot of the parts from amazon, as most of the shops tend to list the items, but they aren't available which is really frustrating.)
An nice page to get an overview of what parts exist in the shops is http://fpvshops.eu/.
Joshua Bardwell has got A LOT of information stored in videos on his youtube channel which was great for learning. His page https://www.fpvknowitall.com/ has also got a great section called "The Ultimate FPV Shopping List", but beware: most of the items listed are availible in the US, shipping them to the EU can take ages.
Now here the parts I've used in my build:
- ESC + FC Stack
- Bardwell F7 FC + 50A 4in1 ESC 3-6S BLHeli_32
- Crazepony Emax ECO 2306 1700 KV 2-4S
- 12pcs 5045 3-Blade Propeller 5 Inch Tri Blade Props for 2204 2205 2206-2306 Brushless Motors FPV Racing Drone Quadcopter (Transparent Red, Black, Transparent Blue)
- Drone Frame Kit, 2 Types 250 MM Quadcopter Aircraft Drone Frame Kit RC Accessories for QAV250
- FrSky Receiver R-XSR Receiver, Frsky Taranis 2.4GHz 16CH ACCST RC Receiver (16CH SBUS 8CH CPPM Output) Compatible X9D X9D Plus X12S Frsky Transmitter for FPV Racing RC Drone Quadcopter
- OVONIC FPV LiPo Battery 14.8V 1550mAh 100C 4S with XT60 Plug for FPV Racing RC Quadcopter Helicopter Plane Multi Motor Hobby DIY Parts
Yes, it can fly:
(I've never mentioned landing, eveything eventually lands, so that's not really a problem)